Sheikh Mohd Salimee Mohd Fowzi is again the overall champion for the premier open class; winning the crown for the third consecutive year after victory at Round 4 at Sepang International Circuit last Saturday night.
Again, his Nissan Fairlady 180SX machine was no match for his rivals in Class A as the Penang-born driver cruised through all the preliminary stages before comfortably finishing off the challenge of Muhammad Zaidi Amzah and his modified Proton Wira in the final run.
His quest for a third crown was made easier when closest rival Tan Wai Loong, winner of the opening round and beaten finalist in the last two rounds, lost his car during the free practice run. Tan’s Mitsubishi Evo machine damaged its long shaft and was unable to start the race; forcing him to join some 3,000 others as spectators to witness Sheikh Mohd Salimee’s glory night.
“Naturally, I am happy but, I would be much happier if I had won it with Wai Loong among the competitors. I have always enjoyed competing with him. But, that’s motor racing, anything can happen. Remember Round 1, I had problems as well,” said Sheikh Mohd Salimee, who now has an unassailable 16 championship points after four rounds.
With just the final round on October 27 to go and offering a maximum of five championship points, Tan, who remains on nine points, is second in the overall standings for Class A. Finishing second on the night for Round 4, Muhammad Zaidi collected three additional points to take his total haul to eight; hence staying at third overall in the championship standings.
First organized in 2003 as a club event for members of Sepang Circuit Motorsports Club, Sepang Drag Battle is the only drag racing event sanctioned by Malaysia’s governing body for motorsports – Automobile Association of Malaysia (AAM). It was upgraded to national level in 2005 with participants requiring having racing license from AAM or Motorsport Association of Malaysia (MAM).
Sepang Drag Battle 2012: Results Round 4 – Top Three Finishers
Class A (Open category/no limit engine capacity)
- Sheikh Mohd Salimee Mohd Fowzi (Nissan 180SX) 5 points
- Muhamad Zaidi Amzah (Proton Wira) 3 points
- HairulIzane Mohd Ashror(Honda CRX) 2 points
Class B (2-wheel drive limited forced induction category/no limit engine capacity)
- Nur Faizun Nasri(Honda Civic) 5 points
- Mohd Syukri Mohd Nor (Proton Satria) 3 points
- Ahmad Firdaus Azman (Honda Civic) 2 points
Class C (2-wheel drive natural aspirated category/engines up to 2000cc)
- Mohd Anuar (Honda) 5 points
- Ahmad Firdaus Azman (Honda Civic) 3 points
- Nur FaizunNasri (Honda Civic) 2 points
Class D (Turbo front wheel drive category/engines 2000cc and below)
- Khairul Anwar (Proton Satria) 5 points
- Mohd Iqbal Ismail Tajinder (Proton Satria) 3 points
- Ahmad Firdaus (Honda Civic) 2 points
Class E (K-car category/engines 1000cc and below)
- Mohd Aniz Azaq (Perodua Kancil) 5 points
- Mohd Salihi Ismail (Perodua Kancil) 3 points
- Mohd Rosmaidi (Perodua Kancil) 2 points
Class F (Non V-Tech category/engines below 2000cc)
- Nur Faizun Nasri (Honda CRX) 5 points
- Khairul Asri Mohd Sani(Nissan Sentra) 3 points
- Zulkifli ZainalAbidin (Honda CRX) 2 points
More photos from Motoring
Which is your favourite Volkswagen Beetle?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- The Original Beetle
- The New Beetle (1997-2011)
- The Volkswagen Beetle (present)